Several of you have been asking what will the next replica project I take on be? Well I think a lot know the answer to this now, but let me share with you. It will be the 4000T! Things have been put into motion already with the same place I had help me get the 4000D boards completed. I have lots of data collected and turned over, a blank NOS board on it’s way to me from a friend and I have had some of the daughter board modules made so I can supply blanks for them to reverse and not need to take apart an assembled set.
The next phase of the project will be to get a quote from them on the cost of this. I will once again be on hand to help with all I can do which will lower the cost down in the same way as it did before. I will also be making a batch of boards again to sell off once complete to get the price per board as low as we can for the first of you interested in them, and finally it WILL all be posted open again on GitHub as a project for anyone to do with as they please, just as the previous one is.
Once I get a price quote and have an idea of what it will be you will all see the GoFundMe page go live. I am also going to start another PayPal account specifically for the project for those of you wanting to help with donations this way. Just understand that it will be difficult to show credit on the main page of who has made a donation this way. The solution I may do is to post weekly updates and list all of them by hand in that.
Thanks again for all of your continued support! I will be posting anything new as I get it in.
Hello from Sunny Florida! Yes I am on yet another work trip and away from home not doing retro hardware stuff. I guess having to do my real job must get in the way from time to time right??
Well today I bring you a great picture of one of my boards I sent out to my good friend John Hertell. He has done an old dead 4000 a great service by transplanting its parts to this nice newly made white PCB, complete with my logo on it!!! It does me proud to see these machines getting new life in the exact way I have intended them to live again through these boards!! Well done John and thanks for showing it off!
This takes me back to the good old days! This is my personal Xbox I modded way back when they were new. It’s got an Xecuter X3 mod in it wired to the power and reset front panel and a dip controlled add-on to let me change firmware from a set of flashed ones. I loved doing these things. I pulled it out of storage after reading about all the new stuff still being done on them. I’m going to flash it with the latest firmware, add another 64MB of RAM, change the CPU to a faster one and put in a SSD. Should be a lot of fun.
Just thought I’d share my Famicom boxed sets. Some times my work trips are worth it.
I’ve been hand pasting forever and finally got my I-EXTRUDER in today. It took a bit of time to dial in and get a feel for it, but so far I love it. Here is a quick test I did on a PLCC footprint. Not bad at all.
While I’m enjoying being home and the nice slower pace of repairs being accepted I’ve started to do some of the long over due personal projects I’ve been waiting to start. The first one I’ve chosen is John Hertell’s Re1200. It’s moving along nice. I’ve had to take a break from it while on vacation for Christmas but plan to share more updates soon. Here are a few pictures for now. A link to the shared photo album is here: Re1200 Progress Photo Album
This one was a tough nut to crack. It came in for what I was told should be a simple recap. The board was in fairly good shape so I put it on the test bench before starting so I could see what we had. Unfortunately the mouse pointer was stuck up in the top left and wouldn’t move. After some help from a good friend John Hertell recommend I try replacing U34 seen up close here I’m happy to report this is now a fully functional 1200. It’s also got a complete recap done. This girl should last a long time to come now. These NTSC versions are a rare breed and need to be saved!